Twice a Week

A good friend brought me lunch yesterday. This friend, who shall remain nameless for reasons that will soon be apparent, has frequently given me good parenting advice and actually, now that I think about it, really good LIFE advice.

Anyway, she and I were talking about communication between the sexes and I offered my opinion that we don't really speak the same language as the males of our species. We use the same WORDS but we mean completely different things by them. Honestly, it's a wonder we ever get along long enough to procreate. Marriage is hard. Keeping the channels of communication open is hard, I said.

She leaned forward. "I have to tell you what my sister told me."

I was intrigued.

"My sister is the one in our family who offers good advice and she told me early on that if you want to keep the lines of communication open, it's got to be 'twice a week, without fail.'"

Wow.

"Really? TWICE a week? Really?"

"Really. Twice a week. And I'll be honest, I don't have to work very hard at this. I don't have to put on a negligee or some other sort of outfit. Sometimes, I just say, "okay, let's go." He's pretty much always ready."

Wow. And this is not from some unliberated, stuck in the fifties, vacuum in the high heels and pearls, stay-at-home mom. This is a beautiful, intelligent woman who has a really strong, great marriage to a loving, involved family man.

Who looks remarkably Happy, now that I think about it.

So. Twice a week. Rain or shine.

Can't hurt.

I bet my husband sends her flowers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I absolutely KNOW this to be true. I've done experiments, even.