Post Show Let Down

Okay, we're home again.

I still have only one shaven leg. The thing is, I don't really care. In fact, I seem to have been affected by Post Show Let Down, as we used to call it when I was in the drama club. You know, it's the phenomena that occurs after you've prepared and practiced for a show for months and then you've performed brilliantly for those too few short days and then... and then...

And then, well, nothing.

No bright lights. No applause. No cast party. Just endless summer days stretching out ahead --and not the fun kind. The rainy, hot and humid kind. (Have I complained enough about the weather? Because I can do more if anyone asks. Seriously, it's no trouble.)

I don't know what's wrong with me--the girls seem to have leapt right back into their lives, with play dates and swimming, etc. But my husband and I seem to be slogging through the minutia. You know, you go on vacation and life gets stripped down to just the family and the day's agenda and everything is all about living right in the present moment.

Then you come home and it hits you full in the face that the lawn needs to be mowed and the laundry is piled higher than the house and there's that pesky problem with the insurance company to deal with. And all of the pets and cars and the house and the pool (which turned green while we were gone) need maintenance. It zaps all the good energy out of me. It seems like there should be more to life than maintenance interspersed with the occasional vacation. And that you shouldn't have to come home from vacation and immediately set out to track down that horrible smell lurking somewhere downstairs.

Post Vacation Let Down.

Sigh.

Comments

kcknits said…
omg... I just ran across your blog and it's like you were in my brain yesterday. Just got back from vacation too - our cat died the morning we returned, my husband ran a fever all weekend. Post Vacation Let Down to it's fullest extent.

Nice to find your blog. :)
Stefanie said…
I know exactly what you mean, Barb! The whole thing about the show ending and all of a sudden you have a life again, when you hadn't had one for the months and months you'd been working on the production.
Anonymous said…
Go ahead and continue to complain about the weather. When you get tired, I'll help you out. We haven't even went on vacation yet because it. won't. stop. raining. and that is just not good when you are going to the beach. I agree with the your main premise. My goal is to get life feeling more like a productive vacation. Have fun tracking down the smell. My car smells like a large animal crawled in there and died a few weeks ago, but I can't find out what is causing it. I have looked for old hamburgers stashed under the seat, but nothing...
Anonymous said…
So...just leave it then. Pretend you went for 10 days instead of 7 (or whatever it was) and just make a couple of margaritas (or a couple dozen) and sit outside and relax with you hubby. Nothing's on fire, right? Nobody's gonna die, right? You don't HAVE to jump right back into the daily doldrums that are parents' existence. Do some scrapbooking! Knit me some socks!
Ei said…
When I used to be an actorschmactor, my theory was to start a new show before post show letdown could sink in. Do that about fourteen times in a row and you'll be so burnt out you'll be begging for some bills to pay.

Or some money to pay them with...

Sigh. Go shave your leg. It will make you feel better.