Something for Everyone

I had every intention of dragging the kids back to Austin today. They are supposed to have piano lessons tomorrow and our summer sitter is scheduled to come. We have a new person taking care of the pets and that's a bit worrisome since our other pet sitter is just so unbelievably good and this person seems decidedly indifferent.

But something always happens to me when I'm at the beach. I fall under the spell of the surf and the tide or whatever. Suddenly, nothing seems as important as finding a way to spend another day by the shore. It's just magical. So, tonight, my beloved spouse is going back to Austin because he has a business obligation and then he will drive back down tomorrow night.

Yes, I love the beach so much that I am staying with my MIL by myself. The things I do...

The beach has something for everyone. To wit:

Here is Jane burying her dad.


Here is my beautiful Ana, looking remarkably like her namesake. Notice that she is wearing a rash guard suit --which is a suit that has an SPF factor of 50. Yes, we have had a protracted battle all freaking summer long over wearing one --you know, now that she's all about style and all and given that I'm all about not having to slather her with sunscreen because that, in itself, is quite a battle. Today, however, MOMMY WON. Heh, heh. (I'm WAY too mature to do a little victory dance. In public, I mean.)Here are Ana and Jane building a sand castle.


Here are Coop and his mom.


Here is Jane making the seagulls very happy.


Here is Coop being followed by his ducks out to sea...

And here, my friends, is the portrait of a happy sock knitter on the beach. (Note that I am employing my latest slight of hand technique in order to distract people from noticing the size of my... well, ME. I call this my "Distract Them With Cleavage" Ploy (well, cleavage and a really pretty sock yarn.)

Comments

N. Maria said…
*smile*
Distract them with what? ;)
The sock yarn IS very beautiful and what a way to enjoy knitting!
Anonymous said…
hey, I'm at port a right now! is that where you are..great photos...and I didn't bring my socks to the beach...might need to consider it :)
Stefanie said…
The Distract With Cleavage ploy works pretty well sometimes, doesn't it?

What pretty socks you have! I love the photographs. it seems like yall had a great time over the weekend. (As shocking as this is, it RAINED here.)
Candy said…
What fun! I'm all about those UV suits - we like the Banz brand because they make matching hats/sunglasses - hey, it works, they don't fight me! Have a great time! Makes me miss Hawaii, after living there, the gulf just ughs me out.
Knitting Rose said…
I love knitting at the beach! What a great way to spend an afternoon! it looks like you had a wonderful day!
BTW I want one of those swimsuits!!
Damsel said…
How fun!! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourselves.
Jenny said…
Sounds like a wonderful time...I love going to the beach. I also think your cleavage ploy is one I'm going to try! lol!! And the socks....I would love to learn to knit socks. I crochet but really struggle with knitting...
Anonymous said…
You seem to have a wonderful time and isn't that what matters? The sock must have liked it too to get a fresh sea breeze :-)
hokgardner said…
We duped the girls into wearing those shirts by calling them "Surfer Girl" shirts. They were just young enough and dumb enough to fall for it. They wore them the whole time at the beach without a problem.

I'm a beach girl at heart and am counting the days until our annual pilgrimage to S. Padre for a week.