FIVE YEARS

So, um.

Five years ago, I started this blog. I didn't really take up blogging as the Great Love Of My Life, feel-like-doing-it-every-day-and-twice-on-Sunday until I had my foot surgery in 2007, but I STARTED it on this date in 2004. It began on the day I left on my trip to New York City to meet my girlfriends from the Mothers of March 1998 Babies, which began as a ParentSoup forum about, oh, a hundred years ago.

And here I am, living 30 miles from New York City now. It's kind of weird how things sometimes happen that you couldn't possibly foresee.

But anyway, I digress. (Some things never change.)

I feel like I should do something to mark this auspicious day. Not counting this one, I've posted 622 blog posts --and probably written at least 1,000, not counting the ones that I've only written in my head. I should--I don't know, revamp my header or colors or start accepting ads or...meh. Why mess with a good thing? (I would hold a contest but since I STILL haven't mailed the relish to the winners, I would feel even worse.)

I know! What if I post some sort of link to the top ten blog posts of the past five years? I looked into doing some sort of poll but can't figure out how to make it open-ended so that y'all could add any posts I've forgotten. Here are the ones that come to mind, though:

Big and Meaningful Post

I Don't do Linear

Socks and Life Lessons

An Unexpected Love Thursday

Memories Do Not Convey

They were Mostly Stuntmen

If You Give A Mom Some Coffee

Edward's Tale and Tail

Joy Rush

Requiem for an Old Dog


Just leave a comment and tell me which ones you like best. OR, tell me which ones I've left off of the list. And while I'm at it, a lot of bloggers open up the comments for questions periodically. I can't think of anything I don't already tell you all but hey, I'd be glad to entertain any questions you might have. You can also send me e-mail if that feels easier or more private or something. Barb@sothethingis.com

I think blogging has helped me connect with readers I really like and admire during a time when I've had some of the greatest challenges of my life. You have become so dear to me. I love my blogging family. Five years in, I still don't quite know what I'm doing but I still know that I LOVE it and my readers and that I'm always talking to y'all in my head.

Comments

ToyLady said…
Gosh, Barb, the story about Sydney made me cry. Again.

*sniff*

But I also love last spring's post when you knew it was time for another dog. Which also made me sniffle a bit. But maybe that's just me.

http://sothethingisblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/missing-old-girl.html
Unknown said…
Edward's tale made my bawl, then and now, as did Sydney's requiem. The love you have for your furries is tangible
Kathy Ireland said…
You know I love your writing but I'd have to say "Joy Rush" would be my favourite post (from your list). Why? Well, if somebody asked me what your blog was about, that's what I'd say. Barb writes about joy.

Hugs and happy Blogiversary from one of your girlfriends from the Mothers of March 1998 Babies, which began as a ParentSoup forum about, oh, a hundred years ago, who can't believe 5 years has gone by since we were in NYC together.
Amanda said…
I remember Edward's Tail/Tale vividly, I felt just awful for you when he disappeared. And then he came back, Utter Joy!

Thanks to you commenting in the Harlot's blog, I've been reading, and enjoying.
I, for one, am relieved to know that I am not the only one who talks to bloggers in my head.
hokgardner said…
Happy bloggiversary. You are one of my favorite bloggers and something of a role model to me.
Mokihana said…
Edward. I love them all, but right now, just after I had to put my beloved Makanani to sleep, I have to vote for Edward.

Not to mention the fact that I used to wake up in the middle of the night, night after night, praying for his safe return.
Trish said…
I cannot BELIEVE it's five years since I was in New York with you. Didn't we say something about doing it again in another few years?

Congratulations!
Miri said…
Yeah, I'm with others here on the Edward. I have cat cuddle envy from across the nation every time he's featured.
N. Maria said…
I absolutely LOVED Socks and Life Lessons!
Edward's Tale and Tail made me cry so hard.....

Hugs,
Maria H in WA
Mrs.Q said…
It's a tie between Edward's Tail & Joy Rush. Happy Bloggiversary! Thanks for being out there in the world & sharing your insights & humour with the rest of us. And for making me feel better about drinking all that wine....
Candi said…
Hi Barb! Hands down, Sydney's story is the most moving. Or maybe the one about Edward's return. But then I like the Joy Rush one too! And I SO relate to the "I Don't Do Linear" post. This is like making me choose between a Reese's peanut butter cups and a snicker's bar - I can't do it!!
joannamauselina said…
I haven't been reading that long, and so don't have old favorites, but I enjoyed all of your favorites.
Tough one, Barb! I thought I should pick the one I just remember best, right off the top of the head as those would be the one that was most memorable. But then I wanted to read the ones written before I started reading your blog. I'd have to say that If You Give a Mom some Coffee is my favorite, a fine mixture of wit and lightness and Barb-ness. But I liked them all.